A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Monday, June 11, 2007

Swamp Doe!


During deer season many years ago, I decided to stay on my stand all day. I had just ate my lunch about 12:15 and was taking a little nap while the sun was shinning on my head, when I heard a snap of a branch. I look towards the swamp area and saw a doe coming to the right of my stand. I immediately put my hat on (I guess for good luck) and got my gun ready. I shot and the doe came towards me and as she turned in front of my stand, I could see the exit hole. I knew I had her. She turned towards the swamp again and I was afraid she was going to go in it. I waited for about 20 minutes and got down to look. As I was walking towards the swamp slowly, I turned to my left and there were two does headed right for me. I could not believe it! They were no more than 25 yards to my left. What I did next will make you laugh...I said "BOO" and they took off! I laughed at myself...I can't believe I just told two deer "BOO"! I wanted to find my deer that I had just shot. I finally found her laying right next to the swamp. I think Bob was hunting at his camp at the time and Allen came from the camp house when he heard me shoot. He said that his Dad had told him to go check on me because I probably got a deer. Allen took a picture of me and help me get my deer back to the camp. A very successful and unusual hunt!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I've got to admit it's an unusual hunting technique, but yelling "Boo!" at deer was good for a laugh if nothing else.

Good story.

Marian Ann Love said...

Thanks for coming by kristine...I have never said BOO to another deer since! :)

Anonymous said...

"Boo's" not bad. I got so frustrated at a really big buck last year that I hollered, "Whoa," to him, but he kept going. I'll get him this year.

What kind of snake is he holding?

Marian Ann Love said...

jon - Bob said the snake was a water moccasin. Never thought about saying "WHOA"...I may try that next time! LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...