A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Mother Mary Ligouri


As I was growing up I was told that I had a great aunt who was a nun. I was born and raised a Catholic and when it came time for me to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation, I had to take a saints name for my confirmation name. My mother suggested that I take my great aunt’s name which was after St. Alphonsus Ligouri. Once I was confirmed , I started corresponding with my great aunt in New Orleans.
Recently, my cousin Sidney, who resides in New Orleans, LA, sent me some information about her. He also sent me this picture of her shown here. This will eventually be published in a family history book that he is putting together.
~My great aunt was born on March 27, 1878 and her name was Eulalie Marie and was known by her family as “LaLie.” She graduated with honors, as valedictorian from the Academy of the Holy Angles in New Orleans, on June 30, 1896. She entered the Congregation of the Marianites of Holy Cross on January 12, 1900 and received the Holy Habit on August 25, 1900 and made her Final Profession on August 26, 1901. She became Sister Mary of Saint Ligouri, M.de S.C. She first taught at Sts. Peter and Paul Elementary School in New Orleans and later taught high school and music. She was later sent to Lake Charles, LA, to fulfill the offices of Local Superior, and Principal. She became known as Mother Mary Ligouri. In the late 1950s Mother Ligouri's health began to decline and she developed a heart condition. At 82 years of age she retired but coached any novice needing help. She broke her hip in 1970 and that curtailed much of her activity. She died quietly on December 8, 1972. To this day I still have all the letters, leaflets, holy cards and medals that she sent me. What a precious keepsake!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...