A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Incredible Clouds over Mt. Rainier

I had these pictures sent to me by a cousin in Louisiana and she said that these clouds are called, "lenticular clouds", which are stationary lens-shaped clouds that form at high altitudes. They're caused when the air flow is just right so when it flows over Mt. Rainier, the air gets pushed upward where it cools and condenses into clouds. Depending on how smooth the flow is, you can get some amazing clouds formations as shown here. It's usually a sign of rain within 24 hours because typically the moist flow that precedes a storm around Tacoma/Seattle area are the perfect set up for these clouds. I have been to Seattle and flown over Mt. Rainier and it was an awesome site to behold! I had attended an international convention there in July 1995 and you could not see the mountain for several days. I was told that when you finally did see it, the natives would always say, "The Mountain's Out"!




Gig Harbor, Washington


Pretty amazing...don't you think?

6 comments:

Deer Passion said...

Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I don't remember ever seeing clouds like that. Beautiful pictures.

Albert A Rasch said...

That is too cool!

I've never seen those particular formations before.

Regards,
Albert
Boar Hunting Calibers: Part I
Boar Hunting Calibers: Part I I

CDGardens said...

I love looking at clouds. Those lenticular shapes are really interesting. ;)

Southern Lady said...

Hi, Marian ...

Those are truly awesome clouds ... and you're right, I don't think we'll ever see any like that around Vicksburg.

Thank you for the sweet note you posted on my Facebook. I appreciate your kind words about my photography.

Take care ...

Janie

SimplyOutdoors said...

Those are awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...