A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Friday, October 02, 2009

Dave's First Day of Hunt


Received a note from Dave this morning about his first day deer hunting...

This is my "south-wind" blind... Now, I know that there is much division among hunters about crossbows. However, here in Indiana, they are legal for those who have documented disabilities, attested to by their doctor, and a permit is issued to those who can not draw a compound bow... I'm unable to even shoulder a rifle, let alone draw a bow... I use my left arm to get the rifle or crossbow up to my right shoulder. So, I understand if you happen to be one of those who dislike crossbows, but please understand that they do help many like myself with spinal cord or other injuries. It makes the difference between hunting and not hunting during the archery season, and to me, that makes all the difference in the woods... Here is a picture from my south-wind blind overlooking the ridge and the bottom of the ridge which is a very heavily traveled trail especially during pre-rut and rut... It's also smack in the middle of a fawning area with many does to attract the bucks... I see no sign yet of even pre-rut activity in the bush, but the deer are still hanging out in the corn so it's a bit tough to tell.. I do however notice on my game cameras that the bucks are still in bachelor groups, so I think pre-rut has yet to develop. How wonderful it was this morning to be in the woods, with all the smells, sounds, and the haunting cry of the red-tail hawks...If this isn't food for the soul, I wouldn't know what is. Dave~







Dear Heavenly Father, Please
help me to be the man my dog
thinks I am...Amen

D. Robert (Dave) Quick
MY DISCUSSION FORUM:HFH DISCUSSION FORUMS
Don't tell GOD how big your storm is.
Tell the storm how Big your GOD is!

5 comments:

"his-self" said...

I'm not a hunter but I don't see anything wrong with a cross bow? It is more powerful/accurate than a compound bow but less so than a rifle or shotgun? Is the controversy over the season or the weapon?

Marian Ann Love said...

It's the weapon.

With a General Crossbow Permit: Anyone can hunt with a crossbow in Mississippi (without regard to age or physical disability) during all gun and primitive weapon deer seasons (except in the early archery season); with the purchase of a Hunting License and the purchase of a $10.00 General Crossbow Permit.

With a Special Crossbow License:
Those 65 years of age or if they have a medically certified disability can hunt with a crossbow in Mississippi during all gun and primitive weapon deer seasons (including the early archery season); with the purchase of a $5.00 Special Crossbow License.

Each state has it's own rules.

Marian Ann Love said...

For "his-self"

It's the weapon... There are two very distinct camps, just as there was when compound bows came on the market and became legal state by state.... The traditional bow enthusiasts got all up in arms for a while... The same exact thing also happened when inline muzzleloaders starting showing up... This will die down soon enough once people realize that the crossbow makes hunting available to those who otherwise would not take advantage of bow season...Dave

Anonymous said...

Here in Connecticut it is the same way. I am thinking about getting my documentation together and apply for a crossbow permit.

Long Ridge Deer Camp said...

Dave, this is a cool site and a good post. I have been a proponent of crossbows for those with difficulties in our state, and good for you! As long as a method is fair and humane, tell me why we shouldn't allow it! In any case, good for you for getting out in the woods and for our obviously heartfelt love for the sounds and smells surrounding any hunt. Good luck this season!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...