A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Friday, October 30, 2009

Why They Carry Guns In AK...

This guy lives just outside of Soldotna.

Have I got a story for you guys!

King salmon season is over, and since I had a day off before silvers start, I thought I would go for a walk! This occurred at 11:16 a.m. this morning (Sunday), just 2/10 of a mile from my house, ON OUR ROAD while walking my dogs (trying to get in shape for hunting season, ironically!) For the record, this is in a ‘residential area’ - not back in the woods, no bow hunting, no stealth occurring...

I heard a twig snap, and looked back...full on charge - a huge brownie, ears back, head low and motoring full speed! Came with zero warning; no Woof, no popping of the teeth, no standing up, nothing like what you think or see on TV! It charged from less than 20 yards and was on me in about one-second! Totally surreal - I just started shooting in the general direction, and praise God that my second shot (or was it my third?) rolled him at 5 feet and he skidded to a stop 10 feet BEYOND where I was shooting from. I actually sidestepped him and fell over backwards on the last shot, and his momentum carried him to a stop past where I fired my first shot!

It was a prehistoric old boar - no teeth, no fat-weighed between 900-1000 lbs. and he took five men to DRAG it onto a tilt-bed trailer! Big bear - its paw measured out at about a 9 1/2 footer!

Never-ever-thought "it" would happen to me! It's always some other smuck, right? Well, no bull - I am still high on adrenaline, with my gut in a knot. Feels like I did 10000 crunches without stopping! Almost puked for an hour after, had the burps and couldn't even stand up as the troopers conducted their investigation! Totally wiped me out – can't even put that feeling into words, by far the most emotion I have ever felt at once!

No doubt that God was with me, as I brought my Ruger .454 Casull, (and some "hot" 350 grain solids), just for the heck of it, and managed to Draw and snap shoot (pointed, never even aimed!) from the hip! A total luck shot!

All I can say is Praise God for my safety and for my choosing to leave the wife and kids at home on this walk! Got a charter tomorrow, so I’m gonna TRY to get some sleep now! Talk to ya soon. Greg



Thought you might enjoy this amazing story of Greg in AK and was sent to me by my friend Dennis in Port Gibson, MS. Thanks Dennis!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one very very large bear.

Ben G. said...

Holy crap, he is sure one lucky guy. What a big bear.

Long Ridge Deer Camp said...

Good post Marian! I love this story. And, the same reasons people in Alaska carry guns, is exactly why City folks and all folks should too...the grizzlies. Only in our cities they take a different form. But they are on you as fast, and actually have less honorable intentions than that grissly did. JMHO from a 30 year cop...Jack

CDGardens said...

My goodness Greg had one exciting walk in the neighborhood! He went prepared - good thing...

Adam said...

Wow, that is a wild story! Good thing he had a pistol. If it was up to our government he wouldn't of had the right to be carrying!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...