Marian's Hunting Stories, etc., etc., etc...

Marian's Hunting Stories, etc., etc., etc...
Stories of my hunting experiences with family, friends or whatever else I want to blog about.

A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Article by Fred Messina, editor of "On Target Outdoors" from The Vicksburg Evening Post on Friday, January 19, 1990. Photo by Bob Phillips.

Bob Phillips came up the other day with a photo of his wife Marian and a deer she got on Brown's Point New Years Eve. The deer was an 8-point with 16 inches of inside spread that weighed in at 190 pounds. A nice trophy in anyone's book. However, the tale Bob told is that this was Marian's fourth deer this year and he claimed that he would have done better than he did if he had not spent so much time hauling Marian's deer out of the woods. Come off it, Bob. We all know who the hunter was.

Friday, December 03, 2010

My Last Stand

This is what I saw on my last morning hunt before we headed back to Vicksburg.  I have never hunted this stand before but I knew of it.  Bob hunted from it a few years ago and I hunted down and around the corner.  This is the same stand that Brock saw a doe last Tuesday and was waiting for a buck to come in behind her.  I left my hunting pack at the stand and took off exploring and looking around.  To my right at the bottom of the hill was a feeder and around the corner a small lake.  I also saw a fallen deer stand that I had hunted out of.  It was shaky back then and I refused to get back in it for an afternoon hunt.  I hunted on the ground in a blind and missed a nice 6 pt. that had stepped out.  

Feeder



Deer stand in view as I rounded the corner to leave...until next time! 

3 comments:

Editor said...

that is a really pretty place.

Cathy Smith said...

Wow, really pretty there. Nothing like a good deer stand...you have to be comfortable I always say. The more comfortable you are, the longer you can sit still and the better chance you have...to fall asleep LOL, and miss a really nice deer.

Marian Love Phillips said...

Thanks Rex and Cathy...and what is extra nice about it...it is slap up against the Natchez Trace Parkway! The older I get the more I want to just stay on the ground and you can still see as good especially when you have a deer stand like this one to hunt out of! Did you say...fall asleep...I'm guilty of that also! It's so refreshing to have clean air around you and I also sleep better at night from the fresh air. Thanks for coming by my deer friends! Have a great weekend and good luck to you both on your deer stands this season! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...