A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Naked Hunter


Every Thursday I will be sharing a hunting story by Tim Elsey from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.  He is going back in time and putting his hunting memories down on paper.  I will be posting them here on my site until he runs out of paper or memories, whichever comes first.  Enjoy, in his own words! 


It was the third week of goose season and one of my best friends, Adam (aka Ogre), were in our favorite hunting spots. A huge marshland we have hunted for years and was always fun when we hunted together. Because of the great humor and bantering back and fourth, on who missed and who did not. Unfortunately, for Adam the season wasn’t going to well for him and he kept missing or he would say," I hit that one, did you see it fall?" And we would tease him and laugh! Sure you did Ogre your shooting invisible that's geese because we did not see any geese go by him!  LOL!  I was too busy shooting at my geese.  Wave after wave of geese would fly by and the shells would pumped out of his gun with no geese falling from the skies, he yelled," I AM CURSED! I AM CURSED! WHY CAN'T I HIT ANY OF THESE GEESE!" I would laugh and say maybe they are wearing Kevlar and cried out with laughter.  Getting suspicious he said, "HEY, DID YOU SWITCH MY SHELLS WITH BLANKS AND PUT THEM IN MY BOX!" I started to laugh with tears coming out of my eyes..no, but that would have been a great idea.

It was almost 9 AM and a few geese were coming our way again.  I looked at Adam and said, here they come they are low get ready!  He fired BANG! BANG! BANG! HE YELLED," I HIT THAT ONE, IT'S COMING DOWN!" Then suddenly it started to turn back to the open water and landed 300 yards away.  Adam said there is no way I am letting that goose get away!

We had my golden retriever Angus but he didn’t see it fall and was to far for him to see where the the goose was.  Adam then yells out to Angus and they both plunged into the icy swampy water and I yelled "hey you forgot your gun," but he just kept going. Laughing, watching him and Angus dredge through the swamp. As they got closer to the goose, Adam would throw shells at the goose so Angus could see where it was. But the goose was a lot faster then the two of them "ha ha ha."  Finally, Adam catches up to the goose grabbing its neck and twisting around and around then throws it to Angus. Throwing his arms up in the air yelling, "NOT AN INVISIBLE GOOSE,"  WITH LOUD LAUGHTER!  

When Adam got back to the blind he was soaked to the bone and was shivering. I said, "I have a towel in my backpack." So he took all his clothes off and dried himself and hung his clothes on a tree to dry.  

Three more geese flew over and he fired,  BANG! BANG! BANG!  And shot all
three geese down. :)  I said, "you shoot better naked than with clothes on."  And he said, just call me the naked hunter!"  Well, his bad luck streak was over "ha ha ha!"

The rest of the season was good for him :) and I always wondered if the game wardens had come along what they would have said when he was hunting naked! LOL!

Tim

Adam (aka Ogre)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...