A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning



Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?
Were you in the yard with your wife and children
Or working on some stage in L.A."
Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
Risin' against that blue sky?
Did you shout out in anger, in fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry?


Did you weep for the children who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know?
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below?
Did you burst out in pride for the red, white, and blue
And the heroes who died just doin' what they do?
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself and what really matters?
I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you
The difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith hope and love are some good things he gave us
And the greatest is love

We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.
But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract.
Abraham Lincoln~An excerpt from the Gettysburg Address

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at work watching on the computer, a very sad day indeed.

Marian Ann Love said...

I was on my way to work at the Vicksburg Convention Center and had called in to say I would be an hour late and on the way I was listening to the radio and heard that a plane hit the tower and rushed into the Convention Center and everyone was watching it in one of the back meeting rooms and could not believe what was happening. I was a receptionist and went back up to my desk and felt so alone and frighten. My daughter called me and said she loved me and went back to the meeting room and by then the towers had fallen. It was an incredible sad day for all of us.
We had two of our employee flying to Iowa at the time and they were forced down to land because of the attacks. 9/11 will live in infamy as well as the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...