A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Wednesday, November 06, 2013

In Memory of Brad Cummins


I got word yesterday that my hunting friend, Brad Cummins, had died suddenly from complications of two surgeries.  I was in deep shock.  Last week, before he had to go back in the hospital again following surgery, we had been talking over the phone and had planned a hunt to his camp...just to be in the woods.  I got sick and so did he and it was postponed. Now, we will never hunt together again.  

Above and below are pictures of him that I took back on March 31, 2010, when we went to my deer camp, Jasper Bottom Hunting Club in Claiborne County, MS, for a turkey hunt. He was an avid turkey hunter and deer hunter.  

October 6, 1953 ~ November 5, 2013

My husband and I met Brad and his former wife, Karen, about 20 years ago and he would go hunting with us on several occasions at two camps we belonged to.  On one particular hunt, my husband, Bob and Brad were alone at Jasper Bottom to deer hunt. They hunted pretty close to one another and Brad heard a horrible noise in the woods and knew something was terribly wrong.  By the time Brad got down from his tree and walked over to where Bob was...Bob was standing there in a daze.  What happen was that Bob's well runner broke on his Big Man Stand and Bob did a flip and was slammed up against the tree and knocked out a tooth and fractured his first and second rib and wrenched his back...it was a good thing Bob had his safety belt which saved his life.  Bob said he did not remember how he got down but thank goodness Brad was there to help and to drive them back home.  

Brad was on disability but was still able to work a part time job at a sports center and had even gone back to work and got sick again.  His job was to order uniforms, etc., for all school sporting events and never met a stranger. He was very personable and friendly. He will be sadly missed by my husband and I and his only daughter, Alice, his Mother, Sister and all the friends he made through the years working in the retail business. Rest in peace my friend!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brad was always trying to find the good in any situation and loved his jobs working with the schools athletic departments, providing them with their needs for a successful school season!

Marian Ann Love said...

Thanks Anonymous for your comment...he will be sadly missed my many and was so friendly and always gave a helping hand. I will miss him so much and his voice! He was like my little brother...It really hurts so bad to know he is gone but he was called to heaven and in a better place and we will all meet again one day.

Anonymous said...

I lived next door to Brad at Oakmont Manor Apartments and never met a kinder and more helpful person in my life. Once I caught him sweeping the leaves off my patio and he would look after my tomato and pepper plants when I was out of town. He was so very courageous in dealing with his several health problems and not letting them get him down. He will be missed.

Sue DeRossette said...

Hi my name is Sue DeRossette, formerly from Vicksburg.. So sad to hear about Brad. Was very good friends with him and Karen years ago. Prayers for his family.

Sue DeRossette said...

Sad to hear about Brad. Was very good friends with him and Karen years ago when I still lived in Vicksburg.

Marian Ann Love said...

Thanks Anonymous and Sue....there will never ever be another Brad! One of a kind! He was such a nice guy. He would pass by our house to go to his AA meetings and would see that we needed wood put on the porch for our fireplace and stop and help us. Not many people take time out of their lives to help and he did. It was such a shock to lose him but he will not suffer anymore and he is in God's hands now. Rest in Peace, Brad!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...