A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Sunday, December 07, 2014

My Photo Published

BIG APPLE - Marian Love Phillips took this picture last Friday inside the Illinois State Memorial and the sun's shadow resembles a big apple.  

I submitted my photo last week and when I opened up my Sunday paper this morning to the Classified Section it was the only one shown and half the page. WOW!  I could not believe it and made my day! Many thanks to The Vicksburg Post for publishing my picture to share with my hometown of Vicksburg.   

GIVE US YOUR BEST SHOT!  The Vicksburg Post will accept for publication photos submitted by readers.  The photos should be current and of interest to the public, either because of their subject matter or their oddity, or the photographic skill shown.  Submitted photos should be accompanied by complete caption information and include a phone number for the photographer.  Photos may be submitted electronically at photos@Vicksburg.com, in person at Post Plaza or by mail to The Vicksburg Post, News photos, P. O. Box 821668, Vicksburg, MS  39182.

A side view of the Illinois State Memorial while at the Shirley House in the Vicksburg National Military Park, on Friday, November 28, 2014.  

There are forty-seven steps in the long stairway, one for each day of the Siege of Vicksburg.  Modeled after the Roman Pantheon, the monument has sixty unique bronze tablets lining its interior walls, naming all 36,325 Illinois soldiers who participated in the Vicksburg Campaign.  The monument stands sixty-two feet in height, and originally cost $194,423.92, paid by the state of Illinois. 

 A beautiful solid bronze eagle, gilded with gold leaf atop the monument.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...