A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Sunday, January 01, 2012

An Arrowhead Afternoon Hunt

The Arrowhead Stand is my favorite deer stand at the famous Christmas Place Plantation and Hunting Club that I have hunted.  It is the same stand that I hunted muzzleloader season last January 2011 and shot a real nice doe with Rex's 45-70 and dropped her at 85 yards.  I was hoping to get another doe on this afternoon hunt as well.  The stand is a tripod with a very nice field in front and behind you and is situated within a couple of trees which makes for a great breakup.

A nice walk to the stand...you can see the green field in the far background.

The Arrowhead Stand

My shadow in between the trees with the big field in front of me.

A buck walks out about 3:30 and feeds all the way across the field.  A few minutes later I thought I heard something behind me and saw does feeding.  I was able to get turned around and shoot at 50 yards and she dropped.

I was surprised to see the buck still feeding after I had shot the doe.  He continued to feed across the field and was never spooked.

My doe weighed 120 lbs.

Rex (Deer Camp Blog) and I with my doe.

My husband, Bob (Two Dogs Tall) and I, with my doe.

Spencer, Rex's son, skinning and cleaning my deer for me.  Many thanks Spencer!

4 comments:

Lindsjö taxar said...

Grattis! as we say in Sweden. Good hunt!!
When we shoot a moose we get a spruce twig in our hat or cap.
Nice pictures to understand how the hunting area looks like. Great!!

Michael said...

best picture I have seen in years,real hunters real deer.

CDGardens said...

Congratulations Marian! I can imagine your excitement when the deer stepped into your range.

Marian Ann Love said...

Thanks everyone! I can feed ourselves and some family members until next season. I'm very thankful and blessed. :)
PS: Special thanks to the Howell Family on the edge of the MS Delta! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...