A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Tuesday, December 09, 2014

The Hunt

Long draw in front of my stand.

To the right near the main road.

Another long draw to the left.

Deer stand before I got in and the windows opened.

Young doe coming out to feed around 4:00 and in/out for 30 minutes. 


Mama finally comes out and stands broadside with yearling still close by.   

Was on the deer stand by 3:00 and it was so good to be back in the woods to enjoy nature again. It has been so long and over a year because of surgery on my right rotator cuff back in October 2013.  It was a beautiful day and just took it all end.  Saw a squirrel to the left of me run across a long draw.  Around 4:00 a small doe came out in front of me in a draw about 125 to 135 yards and started glassing her.  Also, took a bunch of pictures with my camera.  I was hoping that Mama would soon walk out.  Finally, she stepped out after 30 minutes and was hanging real close to her little one and could not make that shot. The sun was going down and it was right in my face and did manage to take a couple of pictures as she was looking at me. She had a darker brown coat eating and looking back at me and decided I would take the shot. She was finally standing broadside away from the little one. As I grabbed for my rifle and put it up on the ledge, she kept her eyes on me.  It could have been a flicker of light off my gun barrel or the movement of my gun and they were both gone.  Never saw anything else after that.  I will always remember this hunt since it has been a very long time and soaking in the whole afternoon. The BONUS was seeing deer and taking pictures.  I am so grateful to my best girlfriend's husband, Charlie, who took me to their hunting land that has been passed down from generations to generation on his side of the family.  I'm looking forward to my next hunt and can't wait to get back in the woods.  I do regret getting out of my hunting club that I was in for 25 years due to financial reasons.  It's by invite only to go to the woods now.  I do have three more offers for hunts and hopefully all three will come together for me to get back in the woods to enjoy the great wild outdoors once again.

2 comments:

JDP said...

So glad you are able to go hunting again Marian!

Marian Ann Love said...

Thanks John....it was a lucky invite! Hope to go back again soon and try again to get a deer. Appreciate your visit! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...