A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Monday, January 11, 2016

The Perfect Deer Hunt

My doe laying in the field at 85 yards while in the Dove Field stand.

I was so fortunate to be able to go to the famous Christmas Place Plantation and Hunting Club on the edge of the Mississippi Delta this past weekend for a deer hunt.  The camp is 2,500 acres with a 40 acre lake and the most beautiful place on earth to hunt.  It has been almost three years since I have not killed a deer because of rota-tor cuff surgery.  Last January was able to go and killed a 180 lb. sow and a smaller one running...all on my bucket list for awhile.  I was so anxious to get a deer after so long a time.  

I was invited by my blogging hunting friend and mentor, Rex Howell (Deer Camp Blog) at the family deer camp which is located about an hour and fifteen minutes from my home of Vicksburg, MS.

I hunted the Arrowhead stand Saturday morning but have seen a lot of deer from this stand and killed several.  

Looking up from the tripod stand on a cloudy morning after a stormy night.

My shadow in the Arrowhead stand (tripod) with the sun coming out briefly.

A hog wallow walking out from the Arrowhead stand Saturday morning and have seen a hog off of this stand a few years ago.

On the afternoon hunt Rex said we were going to hunt together at the Dove Field stand which is located on the backside of the camp.  We drove a good ways and finally got to the most beautiful field.  I climbed into a 16 foot double wide stand.  We did not see anything for about 2-1/2 hours and it was so cold and windy. About 5:00 he spotted a doe coming into the field from the right (top photo) and slowly fed towards the middle of the field.  I put my .270 rifle up to scope her and turned and looked at him.  I usually like to have two or three deer together to size them up but when I saw that he had his fingers in his ears...that was my signal to...SHOOT!  She dropped in her tracks at 85 yards!  I was so excited that my knees started knocking so bad.  We got down and walked to my deer and he congratulated me!  I got a picture with my deer and we loaded her up in the buggy and headed back to camp so very happy.  

Rex took this picture of me with my doe.

Rex field dressing my doe.

I look forward to the campfires!

Hunting under the Sneaky stand on a very cold Sunday morning but saw nothing.

Walking back to camp after my hunt.  Took this picture of a perfect Christmas tree at the Christmas Place Plantation and Hunting Club.

Noticed to the left side of the road a rusty old car.

I'm looking forward to a return hunt soon to get a hog at the camp.  Many thanks to my friend, Rex, for an unforgettable hunt in our great wild outdoors.

2 comments:

JDP said...

Great hunt and story Marian!

Marian Ann Love said...

Thanks so much JDP. It was an awesome hunt! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...