A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Ron's Nice Bird!



My FB friend, Ron French of Cherryville, Oregan, recently got him a very nice bird and I wanted you to read all about it. This is his hunting story ~ My Congrats Ron!

Oregon Spring Turkey season opened last Friday, I decided to wait till after the weekend before going out and trying to find a bird an hour from home. 

Left the truck at 5 a.m. and 20 minutes later was hiking passed a patch of timber when a tom erupted off to my right about 50-60 yards. I turned my headlamp off...BUSTED! Then made a big loop and got around and above where the turkey had gobbled. It began getting light so I gave a couple of sleepy clucks and yelps...the bird blasted a gobble back at me. A raven flew over and the turkey gobbled at the raven's sqwalk. Gave him one more series of yelps and set my call down.

10 minutes later I was thinking he had hopped down and skedaddled out the back door...when I caught movement out front and slightly to the left. He came walking up to 30 yards angled out in front of me. Gave him a couple of YELP YELP's with my mouth and he stopped and stretched his noggin for a better look. 6:15 and the hunt was over!


Note:  Two year old bird with 8-8.5" beard and NO spurs at all!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...