A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Evening Hunt at Jasper Bottom


For the evening hunt Allen (President) let me take his 4-wheeler into the woods to hunt.  Ethan climbed on board and I dropped him off at F-6 again.  I went down to F-1 to hunt.  This particular stand belonged to the Past President of Jasper Bottom (Allen's Father) who died about three months ago.  This was a sad day to hunt for Allen who also lost his sister, Rhonda, this past Saturday week of natural causes in her early fifties.  Rhonda and his other sister, Judy, both had stands at Jasper Bottom and I used to hunt in them.  Also, Allen's mother, Margie, became my mentor because she was the first lady hunter that I had ever met.  She always wore an orange weatherproof hat and I had to have one just like hers!  She is now in failing health.  Back to the hunt...about 4:45 I saw a doe eating to the left of my stand and all of a sudden two appeared and they began fighting over what they were eating.  Then the first one stepped out into the road and was very small.  The other one soon came out.  I was able to take some pictures but did not have it steadied and the pictures came out blurry.  We could not shoot a doe because with only 400 acres, Allen said that we had met our quota.  Ethan told me he only heard and saw one running through the woods.  We were lucky to see any deer at all especially with the flooding at the camp.  I would imagine the water is pushing them back over onto Mill Pond and Homewood Hunting Clubs.  All and all Ethan and I really enjoyed being in the woods with nature in our great outdoors.
      

To my left side of stand - deer came out from the right.






To the right of my stand.

5 comments:

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Interesting...never hunted from a stand like that. I had much success behind camo netting on the ground at the edges of the thick stuff, but each area is unique in their techniques. I'd probably have gotten more sleep in one like that though!

Anonymous said...

I bet that was pretty neat when the deer came out. Wish I was there.

Marian Ann Love said...

Yes, Mushy you can take a nap or two...really nice and confy.

Rick - it was neat to see the deer come out...glad I was able to take a pic of them for you to see. :)

CDGardens said...

The setting looks very peaceful...nice pictures.

Long Ridge Deer Camp said...

The joy of seeing deer on stand, shooters or not, always makes the day. Sounds like you had a good one Marian! How magnificent that you are allowed to hunt through January! Jack

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...