A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Monday, January 04, 2010

Harvested A Doe!

Photo taken by Shiela Allen Mauldin-Brown
Where the doe crossed at the far end of the road to my left.
Small opening where the first deer came out and crossed at the very end to my right.

Got to my stand around 3:15 and all the other hunters were on their stands. I decided not to hunt my stand, instead I signed in for F-6, a field stand. I walked in, settled in and waited. Around 4:45 I saw a deer walk out to my far right and turned around to get set up, but by the time I did, it was gone. There was only a small opening in the curve of the road where we go to other stands. At 5:00 to my left a doe stepped out in the road that I came in and she just stood there grazing. I put my gun up to check her out and I had seen deer crossed here before in this same area but knew it was a 200 yard shot. I decided to take her since I have not harvested a deer this season and we needed the meat. BOOM! She dropped in her tracks. After the hunters came out of the woods...in fact...two hunters were to the right of me came by and help me load my doe on their 4-wheeler. Got to the camp, weighed her and was 125lbs. Since it is under Anderson-Tully leased-land management we had to take out the jawbone to age and record. She was 4 years old. Took to the processor and was very thankful on my way home for a good harvest in our great outdoors!

11 comments:

CDGardens said...

Congratulations! That is a nice doe. ;)

Marian Ann Love said...

Thanks CDGardens...I'm having it processed into 1/2 burger and 1/2 sausage. Yum Yum!

Editor said...

way to go girl!
hoping to have y'all up for the
16th.

Marian Ann Love said...

Thanks Rex...hope to see you then. :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Marian on a terrific doe and I must add an extra "way to go" on that dead-eye shot. It's just awesome when a person drops 'em in their tracks, let alone drop 'em at 200 yards! Congrats!

Long Ridge Deer Camp said...

Marian, what a wonderful hunt you have had! And what a cool shot. I have never taken a deer at 200 yards! What caliber did you shoot her with? Nice job! Jack

SimplyOutdoors said...

Congrats, Marian. That is one good looking deer, and I'm sure she'll taste very nice:)

Marian Ann Love said...

Thanks everyone...I'm still pumped up! :)

Long Ridge, I used a .270 Ruger and a Sierra 130 grain bullet.

Ben G. said...

Cangrats! It's a nice looking doe. Sounds like it was quite the shot too.

Andy said...

Excellent shot! Congrats on your deer.

Mushy said...

No wonder she dropped! Congratulations!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...