A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Steve's Turkey

Today, Steve Phillips of Marietta, GA and Owner-Operator at Phillips Outdoors Inc., took down this very nice turkey opening morning near Bowersville.  His hunting story below in his own words. 

No measurements yet. Located a Tom before light. Unfortunately I was standing under him when he reflex gobbled to the owl hooter. Backed out and set up. Heard him pitch out but never heard him land. That didn't pan out. 8 o'clock I started moving. High spot to high spot. No responses. Got in my ground blind in some hard woods at 9:15. Two jakes came in silent. This guy was with a hen. Passed at about 80 yards in the thick pines. He wouldn't break off. That mountain hussy... hen took him away. Figured they might be headed for a food plot in the thicket. Grabbed my pack and exited the blind. Followed the road to within 120 yards of the food plot and there he was in full strut looking my way. The hen was to the left and the thicket kept me covered from hen eyes. I waited. Then when he would turn I closed the distance on 3 separate Occasions. Finally at 40 yards the flop was on. Got a long hump to the truck now. No cell coverage when I start down hill. Been a fun morning.


Nice beard!

Spurs

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...