A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Another Hog For Kareen

My Facebook friend got another hog and here is her story:
Last night - Was sitting out by 8:34 p.m. It was kind of misting and barely sprinkling and a little chilly and nothing was coming in but then the javelin's finally showed up after 10:00 p.m. As you all know I like this because they will alert me to anything else coming in and they will only run off if the feral hogs are coming. They finally did run off after 11:00 p.m. and I could hear the hogs walking and grunting and they finally came under the green light but they were very skittish and I could not get a good shot on them and they finally spooked and ran off. I thought to myself, you dummy, you should have taken a shot and if they come back do take a shot. I didn't think they would come back but I could still hear them and a short time later three hogs showed up and I shot one and I am pretty sure I got him or her because I could see the way it gathered itself up after I shot it. Of course, it ran towards the creek so will have to wait until the morning to see if I really hit anything. So happy though because at least I got to see some hogs! 

Today - Roy (husband) went out this morning while I was still in bed & came back & said the dogs were barking at something across the creek & he had found a blood trail. We both went out & he & the dogs crossed the creek & the dogs started barking because they found the sow & she was still alive under a tree. Roy shot twice with his pistol. I started over there & for you folks who think it is easy to navigate this terrain just have no idea how rough it is. Roy followed the blood trail & I finally saw her & was close enough to see & hear her gnashing her teeth. Shot her a couple of times & she still stumbled off across the hill. Finally got a kill shot on her & then discovered she was missing a front leg. We got a good workout too. The pictures are showing how far up we were. What an adventure!

Foot shot off.

Looking straight down towards where the hog was. Terrain is very steep, rocky and hard to walk or stand to get a shot.  She said once they started shooting their dogs left....hog dogs they are not!   

Shot from the feeder.

Hog was to the left.  

My congrats to Kareen in our great wild outdoors in Alpine, Texas!

1 comment:

Ridinghunter said...

Another engaging write-up! Thanks for this Marian. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...