A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Monday, August 19, 2019

Going Hog Wild In Mississippi


State's push to hunt feral pigs is needed and welcome!

The biggest threat from "outside agitators" these days in Mississippi comes from four-legged, long-snouted, two-tusked creatures with voracious appetites and no natural foes. 

Yes, non-native wild hogs are a serious danger to the state's leading industry, agriculture.  The feral pigs cause more than $66 million in property damage annually in the state, according to the MS State Extension Service.

Traveling in large groups called "sounders," they are wily, destructive beasts.  They can quickly level acres of row crops, devour fawns and the young of other native animals, and are adept at avoiding capture.

And the rapidly reproducing hogs continue to expand throughout Mississippi.  They are found in all 82 counties today versus just 23 counties in 1988, the Extension Service says. 

So it makes sense for Commissioner of Agriculture Andy Gipson to take on the issue, even if it's part of the incumbent's election pitch.  He announced at the Neshoba County Fair recently the "Commissioner's Wild Hog Challenge."

"We don't need to talk about it anymore.  We need to kill some hogs!" the Republican declared.

Hunters are encouraged to report hogs they harvest in August and September the the Agriculture Department, which has a website set up for submitting kills.  State law allows the hunting of the nuisance animals year-round, day or night, with no weapon restrictions on private land.  Hunters who want to enter the commissioner's competition  must report when and where they hunted the pig, along with sending a photograph and other details.

Each participant will be entered into a drawing for a $6,000 wild hog trapping system, and the slayer of the heaviest hog will earn his or her choice of two rifles.  Winners will be announced at the state fair in October.

As of Aug. 6, the state reported 367 wild hogs harvested from eight counties. 

Of course, the challenge is more a publicity stunt then a practical attempt to lower the hogs population.

The Mississippi State Extension Service advises "sport hunting along is not nearly as effective as trapping and killing" wild hogs, and the Agriculture Department says, "The purpose of the challenge is to raise awareness regarding these nuisance animals and their huge negative impact on agriculture."

But hunting more hogs certainly won't hurt.  Considering the vast numbers of native animals that mankind has over hunted to the point of extinction without even trying to do so, you figure it would work well with an intentional effort against a non-native species.

With the limited hunting restrictions, it can be fun a diversion and challenge for Mississippi hunters waiting for deer season, while at the same time addressing a needed public policy goal. 

Thus, we join with Gipson's sentiments and say to hunters, "Go forth and make bacon."

12 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Wild hogs are ALWAYS bad news to farmers and the environment.

Anonymous said...

It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd definitely donate to this excellent blog!
I suppose for now i'll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my
Google account. I look forward to new updates and will talk about this site with my Facebook group.
Chat soon!

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog! Is your theme custom made or did
you download it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few
simple tweeks would really make my blog jump out. Please let me
know where you got your design. Appreciate it

Anonymous said...

Great goods from you, man. I have take into account your stuff
previous to and you're just extremely wonderful. I really
like what you've acquired here, certainly like what you're stating
and the best way during which you say it. You're making
it entertaining and you continue to take care of
to keep it wise. I can't wait to learn far more from you.
That is really a great web site.

Anonymous said...

You really make it seem really easy along with your presentation but I find this topic to be really one thing which
I feel I would by no means understand. It sort of feels too complex and extremely wide for me.
I am looking forward to your subsequent post, I'll attempt to get the
hang of it!

Anonymous said...

Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across
this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot.
I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers?
My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a few months of hard work due to no back up.
Do you have any solutions to stop hackers?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your blog in Chrome, it looks fine
but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, awesome blog!

Anonymous said...

I simply couldn't depart your site prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard info a person provide for your
visitors? Is going to be back frequently in order to
check out new posts

Anonymous said...

Hi my friend! I want to say that this article is amazing, nice written and include approximately all
important infos. I'd like to look more posts like this .

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Appreciate it! I actually permanently wanted to write on my little site
or anything. May i make a element of your posting in order to
this site?

Anonymous said...

Excellent pieces. Keep posting such kind of info
on your blog. Im really impressed by it.
Hi there, You've performed an excellent job. I will definitely digg it and for my part recommend to my friends.
I am sure they'll be benefited from this website.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...