A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Monday, September 16, 2019

Shorter Deer Season Possible In MS South Hunting Zone


Deer season could be shorter this year in parts of Warren, Sharkey, Issaquena and Yazoo Counties under a proposal under consideration by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks.
The plan would create a new South Delta hunting zone for the 2019-20 season that encompasses areas affected by the Yazoo Backwater Area flood. Deer and other wildlife in the area have suffered as their feeding and breeding grounds were inundated. MDWFP spokesman Warren Strain said the proposal is intended to give the area’s herd time to recover and to study the long-term effects of the flood.
"It gives us time to evaluate, and to study, and that type of thing,” Strain said.
Strain said the proposal has not passed yet. The public comments stage of the process has ended, and a public meeting will be held Sept. 26 at MDWFP headquarters in Jackson, at 1505 Eastover Drive.
After the public meeting, the MDWFP will decide whether or not to proceed with the plan. If adopted, the new zone would likely remain in effect for two or three years according to a statement released by the MDWFP.
In the South Delta Zone, deer season would begin on Oct. 15 and end on Jan. 5. The start is two weeks later and the end about three weeks earlier than the rest of the state.
Hunters would also be limited to two antler-less deer and two bucks. In the state’s other five hunting zones, hunters can take up to five antler-less deer and three bucks.
Those rules would apply only in the South Delta Zone.
“It’s shortening the season a little bit. It’s not going to affect anywhere else,” Strain said.
Currently, MDWFP has divided the state into five hunting zones for deer season, with highways and geographical landmarks such as rivers serving as the boundaries. Vicksburg and its surrounding counties are in either the Delta or Southwest zones. The bag limits and seasons for most of the zones are the same, but there are a few subtle differences in some.
The South Delta Zone would be a sixth state zone defined as lands south of Bunge Road; south of Mississippi Highway 14; west of Mississippi 149; west of Mississippi 3; west of U.S. 61, from Mississippi 3 to I-20; and east of the state line in the Mississippi River.
Roughly speaking, it would include an area starting on the northwestern border of Vicksburg’s city limits and fanning out for about 50 miles through the Delta north to Anguilla. The Mississippi River forms the western boundary, and Mississippi 3 the eastern boundary. Yazoo City is on the extreme eastern edge of the zone.
Public lands included in the South Delta Zone would be Mahannah Wildlife Management Area, the new Phil Bryant WMA, Shipland WMA, Sunflower WMA, Howard Miller WMA, Lake George WMA, Twin Oaks WMA and the Delta National Forest.
The proposal would effectively divide Warren County into three hunting zones, with I-20 and U.S. 61 as the dividing lines.
The southwestern part of Warren County and western half of Claiborne County, as well as the northeastern quarter of Warren County, would remain in the Delta Zone.
The southeastern portion of Warren County and the eastern half of Claiborne County will remain in the Southwest Zone. The northwestern portion of Warren County would be in the new South Delta Zone.
By Ernest Bowker ~ The Vicksburg Post

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your blog.. Very nice colors & theme.
Did you make this website yourself? Please reply back
as I'm trying to create my very own blog and would like to
know where you got this from or exactly what the theme
is called. Appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

My brother recommended I might like this web site. He was totally right.
This post truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how
much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Many thanks, However I am encountering difficulties
with your RSS. I don't know the reason why I can't subscribe to it.

Is there anybody else getting similar RSS issues? Anybody who knows the answer can you kindly respond?
Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Hello! This post could not be written any better!
Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate!
He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this post to him.
Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thanks for
sharing!

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to find out what blog system you're utilizing?

I'm experiencing some small security issues with my latest blog and I'd like to find something more risk-free.
Do you have any recommendations?

Anonymous said...

Hi there would you mind stating which blog platform you're using?
I'm looking to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a
tough time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs
and I'm looking for something completely unique.
P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

Anonymous said...

It's really a cool and helpful piece of information. I am happy that you simply shared this
helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This information is invaluable. When can I find out more?

Anonymous said...

Yes! Finally someone writes about Berita Olahraga.

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking
more of your fantastic post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!

Anonymous said...

Spot on with this write-up, I really believe that this site needs much more
attention. I'll probably be returning to see more, thanks for the advice!

Anonymous said...

When I initially commented I seem to have clicked
the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment
is added I get four emails with the same comment.
Is there a means you are able to remove me from that service?
Kudos!

Anonymous said...

Touche. Sound arguments. Keep up the great effort.

Anonymous said...

A person necessarily help to make severely articles I'd state.
This is the first time I frequented your website page and up
to now? I surprised with the analysis you made to make this actual put up incredible.

Magnificent process!

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I'm impressed!

Very useful info specifically the last part :) I care for such information much.
I was looking for this certain info for a long time.
Thank you and best of luck.

Anonymous said...

I don't even know how I stopped up right here, but I
believed this publish was great. I do not realize who you might be but definitely you are going to a well-known blogger
in the event you aren't already. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I do consider all of the ideas you've introduced in your
post. They are very convincing and will certainly work.

Still, the posts are too short for newbies. Could you please prolong them a bit from next time?
Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

I do believe all of the ideas you have presented in your post.
They're really convincing and can certainly work. Still,
the posts are too quick for newbies. May just
you please extend them a bit from next time?

Thank you for the post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...