A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Close Call

Sharon and I got to camp and was surprise to see two other hunters, Richard and Zack, there to turkey hunt also.  We had planned to go to the left side of the camp and we got our wish and they went over the levee to the right side.  We finally got the ground blind all setup in a grove of trees as shown in the picture on the left above and I got in the deer stand.  We settled in to hunt.  Starting around 7:15 I heard a turkey gobble several times on the backside of the camp.  Then about 8:15, Sharon got out of her blind and was going to walk down towards the next stand. As soon as I took her picture leaving and turned around, I see something moving at 200 yards - A TURKEY!  Sharon told me call her if I see one...so I did and she walked back slowly.  About an hour later we stopped hunting and walked over to the area where we heard the gobbler on the backside.  We saw all kinds of footprints in the mud and a huge turkey print.  That is where we will be hunting tomorrow!
 
After we got back to our stands, Sharon wanted to walk back towards the camp and hunt.  While she was gone, all of a sudden I heard this terrible crash through the woods coming down the hill on my right and thinking, here comes a herd of deer.  It was a coyote chasing a rabbit.  Leaves and mud was flying everywhere and got the rabbit in the corner of the field and then he suddenly stopped and looked towards my stand and then took off in the woods.  I think the poor little rabbit survived the ordeal.  We called it a day around noon and headed back home.  We will hunt tomorrow afternoon.  Hopefully, we will get one then.  Got to stay positive!

1 comment:

CDGardens said...

Go Marian and Sharon ! Whether you get a turkey or not you will be richer for your experiences. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...