Marian's Hunting Stories, etc., etc., etc...

Marian's Hunting Stories, etc., etc., etc...
Stories of my hunting experiences with family, friends or whatever else I want to blog about.

A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Article by Fred Messina, editor of "On Target Outdoors" from The Vicksburg Evening Post on Friday, January 19, 1990. Photo by Bob Phillips.

Bob Phillips came up the other day with a photo of his wife Marian and a deer she got on Brown's Point New Years Eve. The deer was an 8-point with 16 inches of inside spread that weighed in at 190 pounds. A nice trophy in anyone's book. However, the tale Bob told is that this was Marian's fourth deer this year and he claimed that he would have done better than he did if he had not spent so much time hauling Marian's deer out of the woods. Come off it, Bob. We all know who the hunter was.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

No Turkey Luck!

Sharon seting up here, just inside the edge of the woods.

New decoy - check out those turkey's not the big one!

F4 stand that I got into.

The field in front of me with Sharon set up at the right edge at the corner. 

The big Rooster came out with 3 hens at the very far end of the field behind me.

We signed in at the camp at 12:15 and saw where Richard and Zack had hunted this morning with no luck.  We took our time getting to the backside.  Right before we got to the turn in the road to the stand we had to go into the woods to get around the water which had flooded the road from the small creekbed.  Sharon got setup with her chair, ground blind and new decoy.  After I got home yesterday, I went to Wal-Mart and got a hen decoy in hopes that it would bring a bird in.  I made it through the edge of the woods to the deer stand.  Got in and got all set up and about 2:00 I saw something moving in the tall grass at the end of the long field behind me.  I thought at first it could be a deer and grab my binoculars and it was a big rooster walking with three hens in the tall grass.  They continued to walk across the entire field to the right.  I called Sharon to let her know.  They soon disappear into the woods.  Sharon called for the turkeys for another hour and came to me and said that the rooster had already had his hens and we packed up and walked back through the backside and came back around to the left side of the camp.  We walked by three deer stands and checked out each field for turkeys.  We walked that whole field from corner to corner.  It was getting pretty hot and we took our time.  Got back to the truck and signed out at 4:15.  It was then 76 degrees.  We are going to make another last ditch attempt early in the morning and go back to where we were this morning, except I will stay down from her at a corner where you can go over the levee to the swamp.  I will be able to watch the road for a turkey in both directions and she will go down to where she was today and try again to get the big one!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...