Marian's Hunting Stories, etc., etc., etc...

Marian's Hunting Stories, etc., etc., etc...
Stories of my hunting experiences with family, friends or whatever else I want to blog about.

A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Article by Fred Messina, editor of "On Target Outdoors" from The Vicksburg Evening Post on Friday, January 19, 1990. Photo by Bob Phillips.

Bob Phillips came up the other day with a photo of his wife Marian and a deer she got on Brown's Point New Years Eve. The deer was an 8-point with 16 inches of inside spread that weighed in at 190 pounds. A nice trophy in anyone's book. However, the tale Bob told is that this was Marian's fourth deer this year and he claimed that he would have done better than he did if he had not spent so much time hauling Marian's deer out of the woods. Come off it, Bob. We all know who the hunter was.

Monday, March 08, 2010

The Sneaky Stand


Right of stand.

Left of stand.

Deer came out from the left side towards front of stand.

I saw six deer feeding on corn laid out for the hogs.


Walking back into the brush...real pretty with the morning sunlight shining on deer.

A proud Michael with his turkey harvest on Youth Weekend!

Camo patiently waiting for his Masters return from the hunt.

Bright and early on a frosty Saturday morning, with Spencer at the wheel of the 4-wheeler, Rex and I took off for the Sneaky Stand which was right off the main road.  After they dropped me off, I climbed up the side of an enbankment and the first thing I saw when I got to the top was two dark objects out in the field eating corn that was laid out for the hogs.  No hogs...but deer!  I stood behind the tree and watched until they left and was able to take a couple of pictures without me spooking them.  I had planned to sit under the tree stand since it was a platform stand but decided to just stand beside the tree instead.  I soon had six more deer to come out and enjoyed taking pictures of them braced up against the tree.  About an hour later I heard a shot and thought maybe someone had gotten a hog.  Later, I heard a 4-wheeler coming down the road and it was Paul with his son, Michael.  I saw a really nice turkey on the back of the wheeler and congratulated Michael on his fine harvest.  I hitched a ride back to camp and started taking pictures of Michael with his Dad and his harvest in our great wild outdoors!  Even though I did not see a hog, I was so happy to see eight deer from underneath the Sneaky Stand.  A great morning fun hunt!

1 comment:

Seibert said...

Wow interesting hunting spots for dear hunters. I have to admit, it is a beautiful time to be out in the woods. The trees are gorgeous in their fall colors; the vacationers have all departed leaving a calming silence. Nice story friend, thanks for sharing. South carolina hunting

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...