Marian's Hunting Stories, etc., etc., etc...

Marian's Hunting Stories, etc., etc., etc...
Stories of my hunting experiences with family, friends or whatever else I want to blog about.

A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Article by Fred Messina, editor of "On Target Outdoors" from The Vicksburg Evening Post on Friday, January 19, 1990. Photo by Bob Phillips.

Bob Phillips came up the other day with a photo of his wife Marian and a deer she got on Brown's Point New Years Eve. The deer was an 8-point with 16 inches of inside spread that weighed in at 190 pounds. A nice trophy in anyone's book. However, the tale Bob told is that this was Marian's fourth deer this year and he claimed that he would have done better than he did if he had not spent so much time hauling Marian's deer out of the woods. Come off it, Bob. We all know who the hunter was.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Mrjbigfoot's 3rd Turkey

I got some good news yesterday from my friend over at CamoSpace, mrjbigfoot, in harvesting his 3rd turkey - below is what he had to say in his own words and also shared a video and pictures of his hunt. 

Had an awesome hunt! Shot my 3rd gobbler ever yesterday morning and I called him in with a mouth diaphragm! It was as HS raspy old hen call. That was my 1st time ever calling one in on my own and it was awesome. I had gone out before daylight & set up with my decoys in an area with no action so I decided to go to a whole different area and hike way back into a deep swampy woods where I know a lot of turkeys roost. Got way back in there and about got lost it was so thick. Then I thought I heard a gobble way off on the next farm over so I sat real quiet for a minute and heard him again, just barely, so I made the absolute loudest 3 cluck call I could make and he responded! I quickly moved to an area where there was a little bit of a clearing so I could set-up my decoys in it and then I backed off and to the side to sit at the base of a big double trunk tree. Over the next 10 minutes it was me clucking with a few key keys here and there and him closing the distance gobbling every time I called. When he got probably inside 100 yards, he started circling me to my left and got quiet, so I stayed quiet for a couple minutes and then let out a couple real soft clucks and he gobbled big time from about 50 yards away, further to my left and in some really thick stuff, so I swung the gun around and strained to see anything. Then I saw him in bits and pieces from about 45 yards out and at 35 yards he appeared between a couple trees and I smoked him! I was using my 870 Remington 12 ga and a Remington 3”mag, 5 shot, Express turkey load. He had a fat 9.5 in beard, 3/4 in plus spurs, a big fat snoodle and he weighed in at 22 lbs.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...