A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Wild Hog Problems In Mississippi

Wild hogs are in half of our state's counties: 

Mississippi wildlife officials say wild hogs are now in more than half the counties of the state, including Warren, tearing up crops and destroying other kinds of vegetation

Four or five years ago, they were causing problems in only about five or six counties.

Wildlife officials say they are trying to make it easier for people to kill them.

"Basically liberalizing it, making it where a landowner, lease-holder, can kill hogs or other nuisance animals any day of the year, day or night, without any type of caliber or weapon restrictions," said Chad Dacus with the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks.

MDWFP officials said wild hog populations are growing because they reproduce often and can survive in virtually any habitat.  The animals also lack any natural predators.

Wild hogs are crafty, too, making them difficult to corner and kill.  Their razor-like tusks and aggression when cornered can make them dangerous to pursue.

State officials said there have been so many complaints that virtually all of the rules against shooting them have been removed.

Dacus said Warren County's hog problems is as serious as other areas of the state.  One of the reasons for the county's hog problem, he said, is the Mississippi River.

"They like to be near water, and the Mississippi gives them a good place to gather," he said.  "They'll follow the river."

One of the local areas that has suffered from hogs is the Vicksburg National Military Park which had to set out traps in an effort to either control or eliminate the hog population in the park.

Park Superintendent Michael Madell said the problem last year was centered in an area north of Graveyard Road, adding the park's hog problem has since slacked off.

MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

"We haven't seen any hogs since April or May," he said, adding traps are set up in different areas of the park to catch any hogs that might come in the area.

Hogs were reported often in Vicksburg and Warren County during the Mississippi River flood of 2011.  They were seen swimming across the swollen river and coming onto the bank at Riverfront Park.

A new state law took effect July 1 that added wild hogs to the state beaver-control program.

The law created the Beaver and Wild Hog Control Advisory Board to come up with a program to control or eradicate beavers and wild hogs.  The program is administered by the Mississippi Department of Agriculture.

Tony Hammons, who lives in Copiah County,  likes to hunt the hogs, take pictures of them and eat them.  He has respect for how dangerous they can be, too.  He said the tusks are very sharp.   
~The Vicksburg Post


Pictured above is a friend of mine, Mark Stewart, who kill this monster hog at the famous Christmas Place Plantation and Hunting Club on the edge of the MS Delta back on January 17, 2009.  A hog is on my bucket list and hope to get one in the near future to help eradicate these nasty critters in our great wild outdoors!

Close up view!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I know this is sort of off-topic however I needed to
ask. Does running a well-established blog like yours take a large amount of work?

I'm completely new to running a blog however I do write
in my journal on a daily basis. I'd like to start a blog so I can easily share my experience and views online.
Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners.
Appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

I do trust all the ideas you have offered on your post. They are
very convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are too short for novices.

May you please extend them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beach front with my children. I found a sea shell and gave
it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed the shell to her ear and screamed.

There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!

Anonymous said...

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the pictures on this blog loading?

I'm trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog.
Any feed-back would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you
knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having difficulty finding one?
Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

Nice blog here! Additionally your web site so much up fast!
What host are you the use of? Can I am getting your associate link to your host?
I desire my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.

Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?

I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
Thank you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...