A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Diaster Bulletin for Area

Yesterday evening I received a diaster bulletin in my inbox. It stated that we are going to have strong winds, potential for large hail and tornadoes for today. A super cell ahead of the storm will generate tornadoes; as well as, along the squall line. Expect limbs to come down at the least. Expected to be worse than the Jan. 10th storm. Prepare for the worst. Because of humid, unstable weather this is not likely to be moderate. The worst will be North of I-20, Delta and further North but do not underestimate the potential for severe weather in our area. Stay alert by NOAA weather, local Television and radio as system develops.

Today it is expected to get up to 80 degrees here in Vicksburg. After the storm passes it will be in the low 50's. I have been in one F5 tornado in my lifetime and will never forget the sound or the destruction. I was 13 years old when it struck on December 5, 1953 and killed 38 people, including 5 children watching a movie at the Saenger Theatre. My mother was downtown in it but was fortunate she did not get hurt, but was shaken up pretty bad. She was working at the Jefferson Davis Hotel when the bricks from St. Paul's Catholic Church came through the back windows. The historical church was built in 1849 and was damaged beyond repair. Let's hope for the best that it want get as bad as they are predicting.

4 comments:

SimplyOutdoors said...

Here's to hoping that the storm passes quietly by and that everyone stays safe.

I got to witness the destruction of an F3 tornado last year and the power of these storms is just incredible.

Thank goodness we don't have powerful storms like that all the time and that my cousin's house is almost completely rebuilt.

May all of you stay safe today:)

Anonymous said...

Marian, I have been in 5 twisters and 3 hurricanes so I hope you don't get hit. In central Texas today it is 70 and the last 2 days were in the 80's. We were supposed to get "blown away" last night but it slipped north of us and I guess its headed you way (again).

Anonymous said...

I'll certainly keep a good thought for everyone there. It does make the snow we've been complaining about here seem a little tame.

Marian Ann Love said...

Northern MS where Rex (Deer Camp Blog)is, is getting hit with a lot of bad weather right now and we are having high winds....no rain yet but it's on the way. Be glad when all this is over with.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...