A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Sunday, February 15, 2009

An OBS Challenge


Kristine of Outdoor Bloggers Summit (OBS) has issued a challenge to write a post about what it means to be a female hunter...

I never grew up in a hunting family or had the opportunity to hunt until I was in my mid-forties. While dating my second husband-to-be, Bob, he offered to take me hunting with him. I had dated men who were hunters but they never gave me a chance. It had to be a very special man to share and teach me this great tradition. One day while sitting on a ridge, I expressed to him a desire to learn how to deer hunt. I was very fortunate that he was willing to teach me and hunting has given me a lot of confidence and self worth. Through the years we have shared many hunts together and have fond memories. I can truthfully say that I can carry my own weight when it comes to hunting in our great outdoors, thanks to Bob. I have also enjoyed teaching my daughter, Kathy, and three grandsons how to hunt and that has been a very rewarding experience for me. To Rex, my mentor and hunting friend, over at Deer Camp Blog, for his encouragement to keep my blog going about my hunting experiences. It has now been twenty-four years since that first day in the woods long ago. My husband is now disabled and has had a stroke and other health issues. I now drive him to the deer camp and get him set up so we can both continue to enjoy the great sport of hunting.

8 comments:

SimplyOutdoors said...

I love hearing about how the ladies got involved in hunting. I think it is great that your husband allowed you that opportunity.

I take my wife hunting and fishing, and I love every moment that we get to enjoy together.

Long Ridge Deer Camp said...

What a nice blog! I just started my deer camp blog ( Long Ridge Deer Camp bog) and thus discovered yours. It's wonderful! Go Girl! Jack

Jon Roth said...

Wonderful Marian! I love that you, and then your daughter expressed an interest and your hubby-to-be took you up on it. Great!

Marian Ann Love said...

Thanks guys so much for making a comment about me hunting with my family. Not only do I love deer hunting but the fact that I'm bringing home food to the table for my family gives me a wonderful sense of accomplishment. :)

me said...

Your post is a glowing addition to the OBS Challenge.

One of the things I like about reading blogs is to see and feel the love people have for their passions, their family, and their friends.

Great View!

Marian Ann Love said...

Thank you Dennis for your kind words. Appreciate you stopping by and I look foward to following your blog!:)

gary said...

Isn't that interesting, your husband helped you into hunting, now you are helping him to continue to enjoy it. If only more folks would understand what helping others can return to you now and down the pike. Best to you both.

Marian Ann Love said...

Thank you so much gary...we have to help one another because we are all in this together! Thanks for coming by...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...