A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Turkeys and Deer

A conduit pipe stand with camo wrapped around it with a double wooden seat and tin roof.

Levee in front of me.

Looking back towards the camp house to my right. Deer came out from the left side from over the levee.


Three turkeys to the left...

Six turkeys came out to the right and headed my way...(picture blurry)


They were moving pretty fast and was afraid to take my camera down off the rail or to adjust the setting...Just kept shooting pictures...these are pretty blurry also...but you get the idea.

When we arrived at the camp there were so many hunters and also two small children. I did not know if we were going to be able to get on the stands that we had in mind. Well, one of the stands was available and I told Kathy to go to that one. I was told that deer have been seen off of the stand on the road and that was available, so I signed up for it and walked in. This is the first time I have ever hunted out of this stand. I had three turkeys to come out on my left side and six more on my right towards the camp. Some of the pictures are a little blurred especially the ones with the turkeys right on top of me. I was afraid to move the camera off of the rail which I had steadied the camera on...and that I would really spooked them...but the lead turkey knew something was not right and turned up towards the levee before she got to me. I saw them walked down the top of the levee and then came back off the levee to the left where the other three were earlier. Then around 5:10, I heard something to my right towards the camp and standing there was a small doe and another doe behind her. Mama doe was getting ready to come out when she got spooked and they all ran off. They were right on top of me...about 20 yards away. Of course, I did not have my gun ready and was trying to grab it and the doe kept looking at me and I'm trying to ease a gun up. I know they could have heard me put Bob's .270 off of safety with two clicks. It was no wind and very still. As for Kathy, she did not see anything off of her stand but another hunter, Jack, watched a doe and yearling for over 30 minutes. Jack and Kathy walked in together because the stands were next to each other on the same road. (The stands we were going to get on) After the hunt we heard that two eight points and a doe had already been harvested. Maybe next time! It was a beautiful day to be in the woods to enjoy nature at its best!

2 comments:

Long Ridge Deer Camp said...

A perfect hunt Marian! Thank you! Jack

Marian Ann Love said...

It was...and owls hooting...forgot that one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...