Marian's Hunting Stories, etc., etc., etc...

Marian's Hunting Stories, etc., etc., etc...
Stories of my hunting experiences with family, friends or whatever else I want to blog about.

A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Article by Fred Messina, editor of "On Target Outdoors" from The Vicksburg Evening Post on Friday, January 19, 1990. Photo by Bob Phillips.

Bob Phillips came up the other day with a photo of his wife Marian and a deer she got on Brown's Point New Years Eve. The deer was an 8-point with 16 inches of inside spread that weighed in at 190 pounds. A nice trophy in anyone's book. However, the tale Bob told is that this was Marian's fourth deer this year and he claimed that he would have done better than he did if he had not spent so much time hauling Marian's deer out of the woods. Come off it, Bob. We all know who the hunter was.

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Opening Day at Jasper Bottom

Tyler and his Dad, Richard heading to their stands in the rain for an evening hunt.

Behind F6 stand.

The foliage was so pretty in the woods. You can see the rain droplets on the branches and leaves.

The two does crossed the road from left to right where the road changes colors and went up into the hills to Mill Pond Hunting Club...approximately 150 yard shot. Of course, no buck was behind them...

In this field in front of the stand (F6) was 8 turkeys and when they saw me they took off for the hills!

Yes, the new stand is red...Allen said that the deer can't see red...and someone gave him the material that was already painted and he just left it as is...blends in with the foliage.

Allen, camp president, goofing off!
Richard and his son, Tyler, getting ready to go out and check on a stand before it rains. Tyler is a Senior at Vicksburg High School and would rather be duck hunting instead of deer hunting, he said.

My Stand.

Limbs and brush I need to cut down so I can get a good shot next time.

Doe came out midway up the road...from left to right and down the hill.

Got up around 3:30 to get ready and headed out about 4:45 to get to the camp in another county. Got on my stand before daybreak...and not long after that I heard some turkeys. Around 7:00 a doe came across the road from the Big Back River, through the woods, across the road and down the hill from my stand. I saw as she walked down the hill that I had a lot of limbs in the I just let her walk. Have not had time to go to the camp and check it out since last year. Will get that taken care of tomorrow afternoon before I get back on my stand. Walked back to the camp house and visited with the hunters, ate lunch and around 1:30 it starting raining. Allen, president of the club, said that I should get on a covered stand that was also within walking distance. I brought my tree umbrella but decided to check out the new stand which was really nice and took some pictures. About 4:35 two does crossed the road about 150 yards in front of me and I let them walk and was waiting for a big buck to step out...but nothing. It was just nice to sit in a deer stand all day and enjoy God's creatures. Above are some photos I took of my day at the deer camp. More hunters showed up for the evening hunt than the morning one. Everyone either saw, does, a spike, yearlings and turkeys. A fun and relaxing day for me.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Hey Marian! There is something special about opening day. The anticipation is exciting. I wanted to let you know my sites foggybottomoutdoors and trickemnstickem are no longer operating due to lack of time to update them and the cost. Thanks Marian hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving,Adam over at

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...