A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Friday, September 07, 2007

An Address in Heaven?


I received this e-mail from a friend yesterday and wanted to share it with my fellow bloggers.

In Jackson, Mississippi we have a weather anchor lady by the name of Barbie Bassett on Channel 3TV. Her brother Doug died of a massive heart attack while enroute via helicopter to Oxford, MS on August 10, 2007. She wanted to share his life-after-death experience - this is her converation with her brother.

Doug said the last thing he remembered while in the ambulance helicopter was hearing the pilot say, "Six minutes out" (which indicated they were six minutes away from reaching the hospital in Oxford, MS). At that point, everything went black. Doug said he was immediately in what he described as a peaceful place with whitish/gray matter surrounding him. He said this resembled clouds. He saw the brightest, most fluorescent light ahead. Doug said it was ten times brighter than the sun and illuminated everything with the most beautiful, pure color of light. Although Doug said he was walking straight toward the light, he could not feel anything touching his feet, nor did he look down at his legs--he just had the sensation of walking. (I asked if he felt like he was floating and he said no. He was walking). Doug said the temperature was perfect and that sticks out in his mind. He said he knew exactly who the light was and was being drawn towards it. Doug said the first person he kept telling himself he wanted to see was my grandfather. (My grandfather was such an instrumental leader in our family, always giving spiritual insight and was a wise man). I asked my brother if he realized he was dead or if he missed his family (this is a question I've always wondered--do people in heaven KNOW they have died and do they miss everyone they left behind?). Doug said no. He had no knowledge that he had died and did not think about his children or his wife. I guess that's what the Bible means when it says there are "no tears in heaven". However, he was determined to keep walking to the light and to seek out my grandfather. The next thing he knew, the stretcher was shaking as the paramedics were taking him out of the helicopter and a doctor asked him if he knew who he was. Interesting things to note: Doug said although he was dead for only a short while, he said it felt like he spent hours in heaven. We also talked about a family member for whom we've been praying for and how burdened his heart is for this family member to come to Christ. "I've been to heaven and I want to go back," Doug said with tears in his eyes. "I want to make sure everyone knows it is real. I do not want anyone to experience the alternative."I love how Philippians 3:20 puts it, "our citizenship is in heaven". Yes, we have an earthly residence, but as Christians, we have an address in heaven, too. I am so thankful to have my brother here on earth. But knowing Doug has an address in heaven is a much greater blessing. Do your family members have their heavenly address?

2 comments:

Jon said...

Great, great post! I have a Cousin that had a similar experience and she's fine now. All my family has an address in Heaven, we just havn't checked in yet!

It is really unusual for a TV person to have such a great testimony.

Anonymous said...

oh no be kind to the deer...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...