A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Saturday, April 07, 2012

My Front Porch Gallery

We have lived in our cypress home for 20 years now and collected a lot of stuff.  It is a cypress bungalow style home and came to it by way of an ad in the paper one day.  Before I got married to my 2nd husband, Bob, he had come to Vicksburg five years prior and bought a home and was told by the realtor that it was on a 120 year flood plane...so he bought the house thinking he would be dead by then.  What he did not know was that it had flooded before he came.  While dating for three years it went under water twice from 19 inches to two feet and then went under water 3 feet after we were married. It was a really nice home and had 5 species of lumber in it because my husband worked for a lumber company, ATCO, as the Director of Labor Relations, and was able to fix it up.  It had a creek bed that ran the backside of the whole subdivision where we lived. When it rained over 5 to 6 inches, the creek bed could not hold the water and flooded the low lying areas.  There were times when the police would come through our neighborhood with mega phones to tell everyone that the creek was rising and if it did not get to our street it would take you 3-5 days to get the house back together again because you are in a panic mode trying to get things up.  I was so glad to get out of that subdivision because it was no way to live.  Eventually, FEMA, bought us out and the house was torn down.  It was also the home we got married in.  I could not go back and watch it being torn down. Now, most of the homes are gone.  Since living here, high and dry, I have collected a lot of things and I love birdhouses and have them on our porch to enjoy everyday.  Here are a few things on my porch gallery. 


I collect old bottles and decided to hang one on the porch.

This birdhouse was used by a bird family on my porch.

Another birdhouse that was actually used by a bird family.

Big metal star that was given to me by my next door neighbor when she moved that hangs over our wooden glider.  This glider was on our concrete front porch that had floated next door and ended up against a fence still intact.  

Our wooden mailbox.



A flower box full of vintage glass telephone pole insulators that my next door neighbor gave me that belonged to her deceased husband, David Reid.  I call it my glass box garden in his memory. 



A huge oak tree that lends over our cypress home from next door that really frightens me!  I try not to look up!  Of course, in the 20 years we have had problems with it.  As you can see, one limb is almost touching the roof now.  The squirrels love to play on our roof top! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...