A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Way to go Rob!

The expression on Rob's face is priceless to say the least! He is one of my friends over at my MySpace and I asked him to share his fishing experience on catching this fine large month on the Guadalupe River back in March. Below is Rob's story in his own words......

Pure boredom last Sunday afternoon and once again, I'm headed to the Guadalupe River. A cloudy day, off and on mist and my thought is simply fishing the late afternoon, 3:30 pm to sunset with the hope somewhere in that window the bite will kick in. Guadalupe River bass are finicky and you can cast a million times, literally wondering if any fish are there, then suddenly, the bite turns on.

I worked the same section of river I landed my personal best large mouth last October. I didn't expect to really score another trophy fish. Fishing was rather slow during the daylight period, had to work a lot of river to find fish. I mixed top waters (weedless Jitterbug) and a charty/white spinner bait picking up 5 fish (2 large mouth and 3 Guadalupe bass). The tactic was simply working structure and lily pads, bordering edges of shallow to deeper water along the shoreline.

Once the sun started to settle, I worked back up river to a shallow river section, 1-3ft of water, with more flow and a rocky bottom. This section does not hold fish during the daytime but once the sun dips down, bass move up into this zone and feed aggressively. I sat in the deeper river section, holding my kayak mid-channel with the paddles making long casts up current, working the edges and main channel on a down stream retrieve. I guess I was a couple of dozen casts into my routine, no hits when I see the water pushed up from a good sized fish, tracking the lure in pursuit and suddenly BAM! She hits and pulls line off the reel, fighting hard as heck and then shoots to the right bank, pulling me in the yak before sounding in a tight tangle of lily pads. At that point, I got a little nervous since I'm casting 10lb test Suffix and she knows I'm up top. I gave her a little slack, letting her think she is free, she clears the pads and I finally lipped her in open water for the land.

She's a healthy Guadalupe River large mouth. Rob

Congratulations Rob! This is Charming, Just Charming!

5 comments:

SimplyOutdoors said...

Wow. A great fish and a great story. Congrats to Rob.

The Hunter's Wife said...

Nice fish! Congrats!

JDP said...

Thats awesome!

JDP

GUYK said...

It takes skill to work a sow out of the lilly pads...nice fish

Marian Ann Love said...

Thanks guys...I know Rob appreciates your comments. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...