A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Louis' Buck Last Season

As the story goes...I was in a climbing stand in the Big Black Swanp. It was 28 degrees last January and I was hunting a scrape. About 7:00 I notices a doe coming to me very slow eating cane leaves. I watched her about 20 minutes and then I saw horns coming through the canes. He was 30 yards and coming slow behind her. I waited until I got a good shot and took a neck shot. He fell right there. The doe didn't know where the shot came from and just stood there. After about 10 minutes she started walking off the ridge into a bottom and I prepared to get down. I noticed movement and would you believe there was another buck about the same size that followed her. I came back the next day and used the doe bleat. I heard him come off the ridge next to me and come to me. He came up the hill and I was waiting to shoot. I couldn't believe I couldn't see him. I could hear him walking. Sound does trick you. He came up behind me and saw me and all I saw was his tail going down the ridge. He'll be there next weekend! (Louis will be in the woods bowhunting this coming Saturday in our great outdoors. GOODHUNTING Louis)

Louis sent me a picture via email of is his 8 pt. buck that he harvested this past deer season. He graduated from St. Aloysius in the "Class of 1959" and I graduated from St. Frances Xavier Academy the same year. This coming Thursday our "Class of 1959" has been invited to be in the St. Aloysius Homecoming Parade. Friday morning we will be attending Mass at the St. Aloysius Gymnasium with a reception afterwards. Friday night at the St. Aloysius football game, our "Class of 1959", will again be recognized at halftime. Our classmates are looking forward to this event and celebration. In April we will have our 50th Class Reunion. It is hard to believe that it has been 50 years already. Where has the time gone too! I'm looking forward to seeing my classmates and visiting with Louis and talking about all our hunting adventures. Charming, Just Charming!

2 comments:

CDGardens said...

What an exciting hunt for Louis! Really wish him some good hunting in bow season as well.

Have fun too at the parade and football game! ;)

Marian Ann Love said...

Thanks cdgardens....should be a lot of fun.

I'm at the camp now and brought my laptop to see if I connected and I did...Yay! Brought our .22 rifle to do some squirrel hunting...saw two but was not fast enough...Will post some pics tomorrow of the camp and what we found...Marian

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...