A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Monday, November 17, 2008

A Great Youth Deer Hunt

Leaving Christmas Rd and the end to another great hunt in the outdoors!

The youth hunters great harvest!
Yearling suckling it's Mama.
Deer in field behind me.
The field in front of my stand where most of the deer came out.

The beautiful field behind me.

The young hunters posing for a picture on the gator with Camo!

Thomas with Paul who took him on his first deer hunt.

A proud Thomas with his first deer...a doe. This was his lucky day because he harvested another doe that evening. Congratulations Thomas and to all the young hunters at the deer camp who harvested a deer!

I got to the deer camp of the famous Christmas Place Plantation and Hunting Club around 8:00 and had not been there no more than 15 minutes when Paul and Thomas came in with a nice doe that Thomas had harvested. It was the beginning of a day of hunting that turned out to be the best Youth Hunt that I had ever witnessed. After everyone came in from the morning hunt the kids were all excited telling their stories and later they enjoyed the day riding around on 4-wheelers and gators till it was time to go back out and hunt some more. Spencer, Rex's son, took me to the Arrowhead Stand and we jumped deer that were already in the field. He saw that I got up in the tripod and got situated and he hunted two stands down from me. I had an excellent stand to take pictures of deer, if they walked out again....and they walked again....15 of them! They were behind me, they were in front of me. It was the most exciting day that I have had in a very long time. It was very nice, cold and windy day. At one point, I had two yearlings to come out in front of me and were eating when all of a sudden I saw Mama deer come into the field. As soon as she walked in a few steps, one of the yearlings bounced over to her and started suckling. I could not believe it and was able to take two pictures before she kicked him out of the way! When I got back to the camp their were 7 deer that had been harvested. It was the most memorable day for all the young hunters/adults and will be a day we all will never forget while hunting in our great wild outdoors!

5 comments:

Editor said...

thank you for coming. also thank you for the breakfast pizza, wine, pics, help and of course your friendship.

Anonymous said...

I've alway said the best thing about hunting is just the being there. I've never had to harvent a deer to have a successful hunt, it's the total experiance that means so much to me.

So many miss so much by not enjoying the hunting experiance, and I'm so glad that people like the Howells exist to share this great gift, and a gift it truely is, with all these kids. Some of the very best memories I have are being out in the woods, with my cousin or with my other friends. Some of that is so very vivid in my mind still to this day.

CDGardens said...

I must second the sentiment that you don't need to shoot a deer to have a successful hunt.

Experiencing nature around you is reward enough when shared with friends.

I could feed off the excited energy that the kids had of their hunts. So much fun! ;)

GUYK said...

Looks like fun and a good time had by all.

Anonymous said...

I love to see youth involved in the great outdoors! Great pictures!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...