A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Friday, February 04, 2011

My Last Hunt - Pond Stand

Sunday morning was my last deer hunt of the season at the famous Christmas Place.  Rex had hunted this stand the afternoon before and saw a buck and some does in the area.  They had come from behind crossing the Christmas Road and thought this would be a good stand for me.  He took Bob to the Taj Mahal stand to hunt.  I walked across the road in front of the camp, past the hanger towards the Pond stand area.  There's two walk-on ramps, one on either end of the pond and went to the nearest one.  I've hunted both stands before and really liked it.  Usually, there is more water in the pond but was told there was not enough rainfall to fill it up.  I got settled in and saw some ducks, heard frogs and a couple of woodpeckers pecking away.  I had one right above my head on a rotten tree and was trying to take a picture of it when it flew off.  I did capture it in flight and thought it turned out pretty good.  I also video the area with my phone and will try to post it one day - when I can figure out how to do it!  As I was leaving and walking down the ramp, a doe ran across the path in front of me at about 100 or so yards.  It was nice to see that!  Before I left, I turned and took pictures of the two stands and hopefully, will be invited back next season to hunt with my deer friends at the famous Christmas Place Plantation and Hunting Club.

Where the post is sticking up and to the right is where the doe came across the opened pathway.

Front of stand.

Woodpecker in flight!

Farthest stand.

Stand I hunted.

1 comment:

Marian Ann Love said...

I love how deer stands are named also DeanO. It's amazing how your friend from Church can find stands in the dark...Do they glow?? ;)

So thankful that we have our friend (Rex) from Deer Camp Blog who invites us to come and hunt at his family camp! We have a blast every time we go there. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...