A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Gibbes ~ An Old County Store


I took this picture of an old country store named, H. D. Gibbes & Sons, as I left my daughter's from Thanksgiving Dinner in Learned, MS, on my way for a short hunt.  John, she and the kids only live 2 blocks from it and located at the corner of Pine and Main Streets.  Someone was telling me not long ago that you can eat there now.  I found out you can eat on Thursday, Friday and Saturday's and it's a very nice experience going back in time.  

A customer, David P. of Flowood, MS, said...When I think of a "country store" in my mind, I can't bring up a mental image of any building/setting that could be more of a country store than this one! This is a REALLY cool, off-the-beaten-path store that doubles as a "restaurant" certain nights of the week.  (I put the word restaurant in quotations, because they do nothing more than set up tables in the store to act as a restaurant...VERY charming).  We went on Friday night, and the place was packed!  While the menu is very limited, all of the entrees ordered by our table were very good, and all three of the desserts they offer are AWESOME!  Maybe slightly pricey for what you might expect, but the whole experience is worth it.  I can tell you, we plan to revisit this establishment often.

Another customer, LL of Byram, MS, said...that actually Thursday and Friday AND Saturday are steak nights, along with a couple of choices of fish.  We went last night for the first time at the recommendation of friends and truly enjoyed the country store atmosphere:  the wood plank floors, eating with strangers at the long communal tables (although they also have four small individual tables in the middle of the store), the ceiling fans whirling high above, the pot belly stove and oh, and the food was good too!  :)

I have been in the store a long time ago when I was taking care of my granddaughter, Lucy, while my daughter, Debra, was going to college.  I would take her in a stroller while my grandson Ethan would follow on his bike through the little town.  

My blogging friend, Janie, Southern Lagniappe, who lives in Vicksburg, but never met, was in the old country store back in March 2010 with her husband for dinner.  Check out her blog because she posted some excellent pictures inside the store and the surrounding areas of town.  It's a great way to step back in time!  

2 comments:

Camp Dog said...

Nice post, love these old places, brings back so many memories. Thanks

Marian Ann Love said...

Thanks for coming by Camp Dog and glad you liked my post. I love old buildings and if only they could talk! GOODHUNTING to ya and wishing you GOOD LUCK on your Cajun Seasonings my next door neighbor! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...