A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Monday, May 20, 2019

Civil War Era Dr. J. Hostetter's Bitters Bottle Found

My Granddaughter Victoria found this bottle "Hostetter's Bitters" in Paces Bayou on her property yesterday that runs to the MS River.  She found out by searching online that Hostetter's "Celebrated" Bitters was a nostrum developed by Dr. Jacob Hostetter of Lancaster, PA back in 1853 and became a national best-seller.  During the Civil War, it was sold to soldiers as a positive protective against the fatal maladies of the southern swamps and the poisonous tendency of the impure rivers and bayous.  She was so excited to find the bottle that is in good condition and wanted me to share with you.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genuinely when someone doesn't understand then its up to other viewers that they will
assist, so here it occurs.

Anonymous said...

Pretty portion of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to claim that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts.
Anyway I will be subscribing on your augment or even I fulfillment you access
consistently rapidly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...