A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tim's Childhood Hunting Memories

Today, I want to introduce you to a friend of mine on Facebook who is a hunter.  His name is Tim Elsey.  My blog is about hunting and hunting stories and I'm pleased to share his first deer hunt with you.  Tim just started to write about his childhood hunting memories and sent me his story recently to read over and to tell him what I thought.   I hope he will continue to write them because every hunt has it's very own story.  Of course, I will be more than happy to post his exciting adventures here as he tells them.  Tim's hunting story in his own words...

My First Deer Hunt

It was more than twenty years ago when I shot my first deer but I remember it like it was yesterday :)

I had taken time off work to go I was very excited to go because up until then I had only hunted waterfowl and bush chickens and rabbits with my father.I was very inexperienced about how to hunt deer but I was very skilled in bush from what my father and grandfather taught me as a young boy.I arrived out at the cottage on a Friday night unpacked my things it was very cold -22c  got the fire going so I didn't freeze to death haha .I woke up in the morning and headed out to the back bush to scout the areas and to shoot the gun because the season didn't open until Monday.I put a tin can about a hundred yards away shot the gun hit the can :)I had an old 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser with no scope but it shot straight and true .I walked around looking for a good deer trail to sit by for Monday but there was tracks every where in the snow I was confused on where to sit but very happy to see all the deer activity .Sunday came and it started to snow and as the day went on the snow was falling heavier and heavier and the wind was picking up It now was a BLIZZARD !, I gathered all the wood I could and stacked it in the cottage knowing well this was not good. Morning came and it was still a blizzard my hopes of deer hunting today were not going to happen :(  I listened to the radio to hear the weather forecast but the news wasn't good :( Wednesday morning came and it was blue skies and super cold and I was snowed in but I was determined to get out there because I knew if I couldn't hunt for those days no one else could either :)  .There was a lot of snow at least two and a half feet and the drifts were four feet in some places and the plows haven't come yet. So I put on the snow shoes and headed out :) It was so nice seeing all the snow on the trees it was beautiful i felt like I was back in time when people had to hunt to survive .I hunted for two days without seeing a fresh deer track or people but i didn't care it was amazing just to be  in the great outdoors :) It was 5 AM  Friday morning and I could hear the snow plows outside coming down the road I figured i better get out there to go hunting and maybe other hunters will be out and  get the deer moving :)I sat for 4 hours and was getting pretty cold and deiced to go for a walk to warm up when i heard 2 shots BANG ! BANG ! It wasn't very far down the trail where i met 2 people a husband and wife  in their late 60s and they had just shot a buck and a doe :) They were very nice and offered me some tea from their thermos :) I tell you it was just the thing  I needed to warm up :) I helped them drag their deer out and put in the truck for them and said our good buys and they wish me luck :) With my new energy level up  I went back down the the trail.SUDDENLY 2 DEER JUMPED ACROSS THE TRAIL MY HEART POUNDING LIKE i WAS GOING TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK! I quickly ran to the spot where I saw them last and there they WHERE ! I RAISED MY GUN AND STARTED SHAKE LIKE CRAZY ! AND I COULDN'T CONTROL MY BREATHING THEN FIRED A SHOT AT THE BUCK BUT MISSED! i WAS LIKE NOOOO ! They both bolted but to my surprise the doe started running back to the trail and crossed and stopped a few yards on the other side ,My heart still POUNDING ! then I remembered what my dad did when he shot his deer so I leaned up against a tree took a HUGE BREATH AND STILL A BIT SHAKING I FIRED THE GUN BANG! THE DOE JUMPED AND FELL TO THE GROUND ! YES YES I CRIED OUT WITH MUCH JOY ! I walked over to the deer and fell to my knees and thanked God and the deer and for giving its life to me:).

Thank you for letting me share my first deer hunt with you :)


Tim's First Deer

2 comments:

LB @ Bullets And Biscuits said...

Yes, Tim should continue on writing up his stories if they are as good as this one!

And thank you, Marian for sharing!

Marian Ann Love said...

Thanks LB @ Bullets and Biscuits...I hope he continues on writing also and will be really happy to post them. Appreciate your visit girlfriend! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...