A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Thursday, August 16, 2007

30 Years Ago Today

In March of 1977 before Elvis died on August 16, 1977, 30 years ago, I was fortunate enough to see him in concert at the Mississippi Coliseum in Jackson, MS. My sister called and said that her husband did not want to go (imagine that) and asked would I like to go in his place. I was so excited and glad I had the chance to see "The King" in concert. It was a moment in time that I will never forget. When I heard of his death I was in the kitchen preparing lunch and it was announced on my radio which was on top of my refrigerator. In the late 80's Bob took me to Graceland for a tour of the mansion and graves. While passing through Memphis a few years ago coming back home from visiting my cousin in Missouri, we decided to stay over in Memphis at the end of Lonely Street at Heartbreak Hotel. It's a fashionable boutique hotel that takes its cues from the legendary hospitality and personal style for which the King of Rock & Roll was known. If ever in Memphis, you need to check it out. Elvis is everywhere! That's a sweetthing!

1 comment:

Phillip said...

My mom and her best friend got tickets to see him in Greensboro, NC that year. My best friend (mom's best friend's son) and I were both invited to see this icon...but being "cool" teenagers, we couldn't be seen at a concert with our mothers.

A few short months later, he was dead and I realized exactly what I'd just missed out on. I still kick myself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...