A Dixie Lady Deer Hunter

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Telegraph Operator

This is a picture of my grandfather (James Edward Love) taken in his office working as a telegraph operator for the Illinois Central Railroad in New Orleans, LA. As you can see the calendar on the wall says November 1909. My Dad was born in June of 1916. My grandfather was transferred to Vicksburg, MS when my Dad was nine years old. I found out a few years ago when looking through an old family Bible that was passed on to my brother, that my grandfather's brother was named Marion and had past away at an early age. My Dad was the only child/son and my grandfather named him after his deceased brother. When my sister, brother and I were young we would ride on the trains a lot, thanks to my grandfather. I guess this is why I have such a fascination with trains. One day I would like to take a fun trip on Amtrak. This would be Charming, Just Charming!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think old pictures like this, particularly when they relate to family history, are so cool. What a great treasure for you to have.

JDP said...

What a great old family photo. That telegraph was pretty high tech for its day. I wonder what your grandfather would think of the information age we now live in.

JDP

Marian Ann Love said...

It is a treasure to have kristine. I have a few more to share here.

jdp - it would probably blow my grandfather's mind! Living in this day and time, I can't figure out how it all works!

Thanks for coming by. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...